|To provide high quality, evidence-based nursing care to patients from admission to discharge.
To deliver high quality, evidence-based and patient focused clinical care.
To work effectively as part of the immediate team and wider multi-disciplinary team (MDT).
To uphold a duty of care and clinical governance
To maintain own and others’ knowledge of clinical excellence
Delivering high quality, evidence-based and patient focused clinical care through:
- Delivering a high standard of evidence-based care to patients.
- Ensuring good standards of care for the patient are maintained at all times.
- Adhering to NMC Code of Professional conduct at all times.
- Involving and supporting patients, relatives, carers and friends in the care process.
- Promoting well-being and involving patients and relatives in health education.
- Ensuring clear and accurate written and verbal information is given at all times.
- Ensuring contemporaneous record keeping at all times.
- Seeking advice from more senior/experienced members of staff where appropriate.
Working effectively as part of the immediate team and wider multi-disciplinary team (MDT) through:
- Liaising effectively with all members of the MDT to ensure patients’ needs are met.
- Exercising leadership and taking the initiative where appropriate.
- Providing support and advice to ward/unit staff (especially junior staff) on clinical and administrative issues.
- Liaising with discharge coordinator / bed manager to ensure effective admission/discharge of patients.
- Keeping the Ward Manager / Charge Nurse informed of significant changes and/or anticipated problems.
Upholding a duty of care and clinical governance through:
- Observing a general duty of care for the health, safety and well-being of yourself, work colleagues, visitors and patients within the hospital.
- Ensuring the rules, policies, procedures and standards of The Hospital together with all relevant statutory and professional obligations are adhered to at all times.
- Maintaining patient confidentiality, dignity and privacy at all times.
- Adhering to the Trust’s policy on valuing equality and diversity and showing due regard for each patient’s cultural and religious beliefs, gender, ethnicity, age and sexuality.
- Strictly adhering to The Hospital’s Infection Control.
Maintaining own and others’ knowledge of clinical excellence through:
- Taking responsibility for your own personal development and keeping up to date with nursing and medical knowledge.
- Being aware of current research and the implications for the ward/unit speciality.
- Acting as a role model at all times and for all staff.
- Acting as practice supervisor and/or preceptor/mentor for junior and newly-qualified staff.
- Working with appropriate members of the teaching staff to ensure effective staff development (own and others).
- Participating in Trust and Divisional initiatives to develop nursing practice and support change.
- To maintain strict confidentiality of staff and patient records, in line with The Hospital’s IG Policy: any unauthorised breach of confidentiality will result in disciplinary action.
- To ensure that acceptable standards of data protection are maintained, in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
- To observe the rules, policies and procedures in place at The Hospital.
- To carry out duties as an employee and service-provider with due regard to The Hospital’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
- To participate in team meetings as required by your team leader.
- Under the Health & Safety at Work Act, the post holder has a general duty of care for the health, safety and well-being of oneself, work colleagues, visitors and patients within the hospital in addition to any specific risk management or clinical governance accountabilities associated with this post.
- To undertake any other duties appropriate to the grade, which may be required from time to time.
- You have a general duty of care for the health, safety and well-being of yourself, work colleagues, visitors and patients within the hospital in addition to any specific risk management or clinical governance accountabilities associated with this post.
- To observe the rules, policies, procedures and standards of The Hospital together with all relevant statutory and professional obligations. To observe and maintain strict confidentiality of personal information relating to patients and staff.
- To be responsible, with management support, for your personal development and to actively contribute to the development of colleagues.
- This job description is intended as a guide to the general scope of duties and is not intended to be definitive or restrictive. It is expected that some of the duties will change over time and this description will be subject to review in consultation with the post-holder.
- The post holder has an important responsibility for and contribution to make to infection control and must be familiar with the infection control and hygiene requirements of this role.
- These requirements are set out in The Hospital policy on Infection Control and in local policies and procedures which will be made clear during your induction and subsequent mandatory refresher training. These standards must be strictly complied with at all times.